Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Visit to Grandma Geisbauer




The occasion is my First Communion, May 20, 1962,
54 years ago. I was 7, Grandma was 77.

Any milestone in a child's life is important across
generations. Being unable to attend the actual event
at St. Joan Of Arc, of course, Grandma wished to
see me in my dress. So, it was off to Rice Street in
St. Paul. I lived too far away from my other Grandma.

I remember this so vividly-Grandma didn't want to
crush my veil, so her arm is barely touching me 
outside of the veil.

I wonder if she had memories of milestones at the
church of her childhood. I always ask people if they
feel a kind of pull toward places of their past.
They always say yes, as I do.

As was typical of the time, the film was not developed
until 2 years later!




No comments:

Post a Comment